Monday, April 2, 2007

The Great Northern Indiana Frog and Worm Migration

Thursday night run fairly uneventful for a change but I can't say that for Saturday night. There is a section of US 35 that runs from I-70 at Richmond to Muncie's back door which is near the post office I deliver to. The distance is 35 miles, the road is newer, but it is alive with critters. The usual stuff, Racoons, Opossum, Deer, Rabbits, Dogs, Cats, I've even seen a Coyote in there. Speed limit is 55, and I usually set the cruise for 58.

I thought I had seen pretty much everything but Sunday morning proved me wrong. I pulled onto 35 at 02:15. It had rained and was still doing so off and on. I was about 10 miles from I-70 when I started to see worms crossing the road. I'm not talking one or two here, we're talking herd. OK, all the rain has forced them out of the ground. No big deal right? Wrong. Next I start to see frogs of various sizes hopping around all over the place as well as just sitting in the middle of the road. I'm not about to swerve around trying to miss them, but I slowed down because they were bouncing off the front of the truck and I don't want a broken plastic grill. This went on for 5 or 6 miles and then they were pretty much gone.

Lessons learned:

  • Frogs make a funny "popping" noise when you run over them
  • They bounce when hit
  • I think the frogs were herding the worms but I can't confirm that
  • I now know where the bait store in one of the small towns there gets his stock
  • Front brush guards are no protection from Kamikaze frogs

I asked a few of the locals at the Pilot at the junction of 67 and 69 about all this and they said they knew about the worms but the frogs were something new. All I know is that the frogs have most likely put a bounty on my head as a mass murderer. Reward: 500 bugs.

0 comments: