Tuesday, September 25, 2007

I Goofed!!!!!

I made a mistake this morning that cost me a load. Usually dispatch calls when the Qualcomm is in quiet mode, but today they sent the load offer over the QC. It woke me up when it beeped, and when I read it I was half asleep. I mistook the pick up time to be 0700 9/25 when it was actually the delivery time. I refused it thinking that I didn't want to hang around here until 0700 the next morning. You can refuse a load that has a pick up time more than 10 hours from the time the load is offered without any penalty.

Imagine my surprise when a mac message comes across saying that I am on 8 hour delay for refusal of a legitimate load. I read the load offer again and realized my mistake. You have to list a reason you're refusing a load and I had listed the 10 hour rule so the dispatcher knew I was mistaken, but did not say anything about it. I called the dispatch supervisor and was told that it was not the dispatcher's job to point out my mistakes. Since all calls in and out are digitally recorded I said thank you very much and hung up. I didn't want a verbal explosion on tape. I did send a QC message back to the dispatcher saying "I wish you had told me I was making a mistake." Maybe it will make her feel guilty, but I doubt it.

Lessons learned:
1. Don't read messages while half asleep.
2. Dispatchers don't have your back.

0 comments: