Saturday, September 22, 2007

IN-OH-OH-VA

Got a load from Indy to Chillicothe, OH early on 9/18. Went to the Kenworth plant. Two large transmissions bolted to a steel pallet 1800 lbs. total.

Went home from Chillicothe (50 Miles). Next load picked up at 09:00 on 9/20 in Springfield, OH going to Bluffton, OH. 1000 lbs of steel dies. Sat on the Lima board all day even though I was #5. Dispatch requested I stay since the 1 and 2 trucks only wanted to go north. Didn't know you could do that. I'll have to check that out. Did not get anything and was still #4 at the end of the day. Had I gone home like I wanted to, I would have gotten something as the Columbus board cleared out. Left Lima at 17:00 for home. Next time, I'll use my own judgement.

Was #3 on the Columbus board when I got home, and was #2 by morning. Next load came at 11:00 on 9/21 from Columbus to Mineral, VA. One 4 lb. box containing a printed circuit board for the North Anna nuke plant south of Mineral. It was a direct load, so they must have needed it quick.

Left Columbus at 12:15 arrived at the plant at 21:58. This place was out in the middle of nowhere. No large cooling towers, just two large ominous ball shaped structures with loads of rods sticking out the top. Both were off by themselves. It was actually pretty spooky in the dark. The truck was searched at the security gate from front to back. Even had to open the hood so they could look at the engine compartment. Drove back to receiving, and the guy came outside to the truck to get the box. Guess they really did need that circuit board!!!!

Left the plant and drove 27 miles of VA backroads to get to a truck stop in Carmel Church, VA where I am now. #3 on the Richmond board, so I'm probably stuck here for the weekend. Idlebuster's running and I'm cool in the 88 degree heat. May go to a campground that is 15 miles south for tomorrow and run the a/c on their electric rather than my diesel fuel.

0 comments: