Friday, October 26, 2007

OH-MI-PA-NJ

Things didn't go as planned from my last entry, but that's life. Went back in service Monday the 22nd. No loads available on Monday, and I thought Tuesday was going to be the same when dispatch called at 2200. Load from Bucyrus, OH to Detroit, MI. I was surprised since they had never called that late before. Delivery time in Detroit was 0600 on Wednesday so I had plenty of time.

Dropped in Detroit and went to a nearby truck stop to eat and sleep. Woke up about 1300 and waited for a load offer. Nothing happened into the early evening so I planned on spending the night where I was. Was preparing dinner when dispatch calls with a load. Toledo, OH to Macungie, PA. Since I was #2 on the Detroit board and the Toledo board had 4 vans on it, I was surprised at the offer. I jumped on it nonetheless. Turned out that the shipper had specified a Sprinter and I was the only one in the area. Another plus for buying one. Load was three pallets, and two boxes. It would not have fit in a standard van. They had to turn the last pallet sideways to get it in. Pick up was 2100 deliver direct to Macungie. 42 miles from the pick, 533 miles to drop.

Arrived at Mack Trucks plant in Macungie at 0709. Another TS van was there just finishing his drop. Checked in with receiving and the clerk started making a stink about the last pallet being sideways. Said he wasn't going to accept the shipment since he couldn't unload it. I told him that all he had to do was get the tips of the forklifts forks on the pallet, raise it up enough to allow me to put my 2X6 boards under it and then the forks would go all the way under the pallet. He said that it couldn't be done and walked away. I called dispatch and informed them of the situation and they said they would call Mack.

Several minutes later, a man comes out and starts taking pictures of the load and he started asking me questions about the Sprinter. We talked for awhile and he asked me if I had any suggestions on how to get the pallet off. I told him what I told the clerk and he had a forklift driver come over and do what I had said. Worked perfectly and the pallet came off. Put my chain on the other two pallets so the forklift could drag them to the back of the truck and they came off. Took all of five minutes after waiting over an hour. Never did see the clerk again. The forklift driver apologized for the delay and I said it wasn't his fault that the clerk didn't know what he was doing.

Went from Macungie to Bloomsbury, NJ since it was the closest truck stop to eat and sleep. Am #2 on the Allentown, PA board now after starting at #3. Didn't get a load today, but my other truck got one from WI to Chicago. We'll see how tomorrow goes and if the weekend will be spent in this or another truckstop.

0 comments: