Tuesday, October 30, 2007

PA-OH

I was right. No loads from the Danville, PA board. Waited until after 1500 to check with dispatch and they came back with a bonus offer to the Cleveland board. I had been watching the boards and Cleveland or Akron were the two that I figured would be offered as bonus.

The way this works is that 1200 to 1500 is prime time for loads. If you do not have a load offer before 1500, chances are you aren't going to get one. If I had left Danville for Cleveland prior to 1500, I would have lost the chance for a Danville load and wouldn't be available for a Cleveland load since I would not have arrived there before 1500.

I pulled out of Danville at 1630 and arrived at a travel plaza on the Ohio turnpike at 2130 putting me #2 on the Cleveland board. I beat the #3 van by 3 minutes. Cleveland is an active board, so I will most likely get a load today.

My second truck was #1 on the Columbia, MO board at 0900 yesterday. Columbia is a slow board so he moved 20 miles to put himself on the Peoria, IL board. Peoria is active. He was #3 at 1100 and got a load to Sumter, SC paying over $800 to the truck.

It's all in knowing how to play the game and budget your time and try and end up where the loads are. The bonus pay for my deadhead was enough to pay for the fuel to Cleveland, so yesterday wasn't a total loss plus I got to see my daughter for the weekend. Priceless.

0 comments: