Wednesday, February 13, 2008

OH-IL The Hard Way

Finally got out of the house, but in a way I wish I hadn't. Started snowing about 2200 Monday night. Dispatch calls at 0500 Tuesday morning saying a van driver had spun out and hit a retaining wall on I70 near Springfield, OH and can I go meet her and transfer the freight.

Take off about 0600, roads are a mess all the way to Springfield. Go to the van at a Ford dealer where it was towed. Transfer one 150 lb. box and take off for Springfield, IL. Ran through snow, ice, more snow, until I finally hit dry pavement outside of Decatur. Dropped the box and headed to the truck stop in Williamsville.

While all this is going on, my driver in the International calls to advise me he had a death in the family and needs to head home. No problem, but he wants to transfer from the International back to a Sprinter, so I am giving him my Sprinter and I'll drive the International. It's probably a good move since he can run harder and make more money when he's not hampered by the HOS. May end up putting a team in the International if I have the same problem.

Had to scramble to find a place to park the International since it will in no way go in my driveway. Located that without too much trouble, so he is coming through Columbus tomorrow and dropping the truck off so I can start transferring my stuff to it and do some more work on the generator when I get back home. He's going to get a rental car to get the rest of the way home, and I'm splitting the cost with him.

Sure am glad I've got a headset for my cell phone otherwise I'd be writing this from a ditch instead of the truck stop parking lot.

0 comments: