Sunday, July 27, 2008

Expo

Went to the Expedite Expo Friday in Wilmington. We were a bit disappointed with it, but I accomplished most of what I wanted to.

Disappointments:

Chrome Shop Mafia wasn't there. I assumed they would make an appearance at some point, but no times were posted. Truck they had on display was cool though.

Tri-State's booth. No handouts, and very little information available that I could see. They were a major sponsor of the event so I expected more from them. They didn't talk to us very long, and didn't treat us like I thought they should treat a fleet owner either. That will factor into a decision I will be making.

Freightliner of Knoxville. This dealer is where I bought the International. Found out that Jon Mosier, a major player in the expedite truck sales game, no longer works for them. The guy that was there was less than thrilled to be there and showed it.

If there was food there, we couldn't find it and the music outside was so loud you couldn't hear anyone talk even if they were standing right next to you.

Accomplishments:

Met the former head of recruiting at T/S. I had talked to him at length during my research of the expedite business. He had left T/S shortly before I went to orientation. He's now with RJR Transportation.

Talked with the company that built the sleeper and generator on the International. The owner had not arrived yet, but I got my point across that I was very unhappy with their generator. The rep that was there said he would have the owner call me to see what could be done to correct the situation, but I am not holding my breath.

Met with the owner and sales manager of Idlebuster. Had a productive discussion with them and was very impressed with their APU design. They apologized for not having the engine yet for Sprinter #3's unit and promised to hurry it up as much as possible.

FedEx. Talked with one of their recruiters and was impressed with his presentation and what they offer. He said they absolutely needed the International (it qualifies for White Glove)and could also use one of the Sprinters for a dedicated account that is coming online shortly. They pay quite a bit more per mile than T/S have a structured FSC. The biggest things for me was that they pay the FSC for all dispatched miles including deadhead, and they no longer charge $500. for sign installation. The only drawback is that they require Hazmat and Canada even if you have no intention of doing either.

Overall, the expo was a good experience and we will attend next year. We stopped at the Flying J in Jeffersonville on the way home to grab a bite to eat. Wife said she wanted to see a truck stop close up, so I went along. Got home around 1630.

Shoulder feels decent and I still plan on heading out Monday if the creeks don't rise and no dogfights develop.

Sprinter #1
Layover in Decatur, IL

Sprinter #2
NO KINGSVILLE/ OH FOUNTAIN INN/ SC
Bonused to Lexington, KY
Deadhead home for TAH

Sprinter #3
Bonused to Lexington, KY
Transfer load to Griffin, GA
Layover in Albany, GA

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry I missed you at the expo. I was there between about 12:30 and 1:30. I kept an eye out for ya. I agree with most of the negatives you mentioned and yes, the music outside was os loud that when I stopped in the OOIDA trailer to look around, it was hard to hear anyone in there as well. Hope to meet up with you soon. PM me over on PD.com and I'll give you my number and if you find yourself down this way again, you can give me a call and we see about meeting up for coffee sometime. -TT

Heffard said...

As far as Chrome Shop Mafia, I heard this is the last season for Trick My Truck on CMT. May be why their presence was reduced.