Tuesday, December 4, 2007

IL-IN

When I went to bed last night I was #5 on the Chicago board shown by the QC to be in Henpeck, IL. This morning when I got up and checked my postition, I was listed as #2 on the Rockford board. I looked outside to see if the truck has decided to go farther west when I wasn't looking. Nope, still at the truckstop I was at last night.

I queried dispatch over the QC what the deal was. Answer: You're on the Rockford board. I pointed out that I was told the location was on the Chicago board. Answer: You're on the Rockford board.

OK, moving on. I spent the next hour or so checking other boards and watching their activity. At 1000, I decided to move. I asked dispatch where I should go to see what they would say and if they would pay bonus mileage. Answer: Stay where you are for now. Sorry, I'm on my way to Indy.

Arrived in the Indy area at 1630 and was #3 on the board. I had no sooner finished dinner than I noticed that the #1 van had gotten a load. (He was parked next to me) So now, I'm #2

I checked the Rockford and Chicago boards and I wouldn't have moved in Rockford, and would have only moved two spots in Chicago. Add to that there is a snow advisory out for that area to the tune of 5 to 7 inches. I made the right decision to move.

My other truck was still #2 in St. Louis, but managed to get a good load to Temple, TX. His luck came back, but with the way mine runs I'll get a load to Rockford in the morning.

To Bruce: Thanks for the comments. Glad you like the blog. Don't know where you are, but if you look out your office window tomorrow morning and it's white, think twice about getting back into trucking. Think twice anyway. Even though I'm an Owner Operator, I'm still at the mercy of dispatchers and the quirks of slow freight periods.

If there are any other readers out there, make some comments and ask any questions you have about life over the road. I always give straight answers.

0 comments: