Sunday, December 2, 2007

MO-IL

Left Hayti, MO at about 1000 this morning. GPS said it was a 4 hour drive at average speed, 302 total miles. It was 55 when I left, winds were calm, cloudy but dry. That didn't last.

Before I left, I went in to the truckstop to get some coffee in my new Official Pilot Travel Center Thermos. It holds 44 ounces of whatever liquid you prefer. I prefer COFFEE. I'm fond of their house blend. Anyway, I paid $7.99 for the thermos when I was out last and this is the first time I've used it. So, I fill it up to the brim with the juice of life and went to pay for it. The cashier looks at me and I said it's full of coffee. She says: "That will be $1.50". Now I've stopped at many a Pilot over the last year and I always bought the smallest cup. The price ranged from $1.09 to $1.39 for a 16 oz. cup. I asked her why so cheap and she said that it's part of Pilot's deal. Fill their thermos with their coffee and you get it at the one cup price. Merry Christmas to me.

Now back to the trip. Had no problems for 250 miles or so went through a few rain showers but no big deal. I took the outerbelt around St.Louis and swung north on I55. When I got onto 55 I noticed a HUGE black cloud in front of me. It wasn't but a few minutes and it began to pour, but only lasted for a few miles and slowed to a steady rain. I was thinking that boy I'm glad that didn't last when I noticed the semi in front of me suddenly lurch to the right. I was planning my move in case he had swerved to miss something when it hit me broadside. WIND. We're not talking a mild breeze, we're talking gale force. It moved me clear into the berm and I've got over a 1000 lbs. in the back. I was doing 68 MPH and had to slow down to around 60 to keep the truck on the road. I had the steering wheel turned to the left slightly to keep straight on the road. This lasted the rest of the way with the only respite being when I went through Springfield. Oh, the temp dropped from 53 to 35 in 20 minutes.

I made it to the truckstop in Williamsville around 1500 and the wind is rocking me back and forth as I write this. I have the Buster running and my space heater is on the floor keeping my feet warm. Hopefully, the storm will blow through without dropping any of that white stuff.

To Kimzoid: Thanks for your positive comments. I'm glad you like the blog and my tribute to Dad. He was actually my wife's father, but we got along like father and son as we were a lot alike. My father passed in 1986. I understand when you say that you miss trucking, but the wanderlust that drives me can be a hard mistress at times. Being away from family and friends this time of year is tough. That's one reason I started this blog. It helps pass the time in this 60" sleeper that will rock me to sleep tonight. Merry Christmas to you and your family, and keep commenting when you have the time.

0 comments: