Tuesday, December 11, 2007

OH-MI-OH

Dispatch called with a load offer from Sidney, OH to Taylor, MI. Not a huge paying load, but something is better than nothing. It was 1145 and #1 and #2 turned it down. Turns out it was a good decision since #2 is still sitting in Columbus.


P/U was at 1600 so I had gobs of time. Pulled into the shippers lot at 1545 just as they were opening the door and bringing the pallet out. Timing is everything. Had to hang around for 20 minutes waiting for faxed paperwork though.


Ran into some fog and drizzle south of Toledo on I 75 on my way north. The temp was hovering around freezing so everyone was backing it down in case the bridges froze. I should say that when I say "everyone" I mean all the trucks. The cars were doing their normal 70 and above oblivious to the danger. STUPID.


Ran out of the mess just south of the MI/OH line. Made the drop at 1915 and the consignee was opening his door just as I backed in. Timing is everything. Did I say that before???


Decided to run back down to Tri-State's yard in Millbury, OH rather than sit in Detroit since it's a slow board. Besides, I want to try and get a face to face with the people that have not answered my e-mails and phone messages regarding Canadian shipments. I've received provisional approval for my FAST card from the Canadian Customs people and I need to find out from T/S what port of entry they use the most so I can schedule an interview. As I understand it, the Canadian officials will talk to me, fingerprint me, and take my picture. All of this goes on a credit card type of deal that take the place of a passport or birth certificate. I will also be able to use the fast lanes to enter Canada and return to the US with this card.

Currently #3 on the Toledo board, so I hope I'll have time to talk to everyone I need to. More on that tomorrow.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Wolfeman...I just started reading your blog this past week. I'm all caught up. I want to thank you for sharing your experiences. I'm a wanna-trucker. I'm not looking at making the move until some time next summer.

I had been wondering how things worked when a load was heading into Canada. You answered that with your explaination of the FAST card. Is the FAST card how all the truckers do it or are there other ways?

Thanks again. -TT